Obligatory Background information
I wrote my first HTML hacking together an eBay store in 2002 adding
font tags creating some design in the otherwise bland product listings. After finishing music school, I completed a design certificate that included a few courses on coding that laid an appreciation and solid Web Standards foundation in properly structured and accessible semantic markup.
I've spent the last ten years crafting my UI, UX & Product Development Skills and most successful and happiest working on challenges at the intersection of those three skill sets.
Currently, I am a Engineering Manager at Unbounce in Vancouver and previously spend 3.5 years at Hootsuite. Prior to that I worked at a variety of Vancouver agencies both as a designer and a developer. These days I spend most of my time iterating and evolving build pipelines, introducing UI Component Systems into existing products and working to close the gap between Product Design and Engineering teams.
- Co-organizer of the Style & Class Meetup and Conference
- Executive member of the The Society of Graphic Designers of Canada: Vancouver Mainland Chapter (2007-2010)
- Voting Member of the National Executive of the GDC (2008, 2009 & 2010)
- Member of Graphex Design Competition Steering Committee: 2007 & 2009
- Instructor of Web Development at the Electronic Media Design program at Langara College (2006–2010)
- 2015: CodeCore - Writing & Evolving Hootsuite's UI (slides)
- 2014: Style & Class - CSS Enterprise: A Five Year Mission (Slides)
- 2014: CodeCore - 10 Lessons Learned from 2 years as a UI Dev at Hootsuite (Video & slides)
- 2014: Vancouver HTML5 Meetup - Performance Budgets for Web Designers
The More You Know!
- Musician: Originally trained as a classical musician I've played professionally since 2002 focusing on jazz, commercial and latin music.
- Performed with: Don Rickles, The Temptations, The Royal Winnipeg Ballet, Maria Schneider (Grammy winner) & Kenny Wheeler, Hugh Fraser (Juno Award), The Paperboys (Juno Award), and countless others.
- Photography: I love music and photography so it is natural they became intertwined. I've shot extensively for local and international musicians.