Obligatory Background information
I wrote my first HTML hacking together an eBay store in 2002 adding
font tags creating some design in the otherwise bland product listings. After finishing music school, I completed a design certificate that included a few courses on coding that laid an appreciation and solid Web Standards foundation in properly structured and accessible semantic markup.
Having led teams each with different makeup and size, each with a unique mission, I’ve learned that there is no one size fits all approach to leadership. I identify what will move the team towards becoming more high performing and provide the context and support to help them achieve their goals. With experience being a solo developer all the way up to being a part of 200 person Engineering teams and everything in between; I've honed my leadership style to adapt to what the team needs; but have found that constants are accountability, collaboration, communication resilience and servant leadership.
Currently, I am a Engineering Manager at Unbounce in Vancouver and previously spend 3.5 years at Hootsuite. Prior to that I worked at a variety of local agencies both as a designer and a developer.
- Co-organizer of the Style & Class Meetup and Conference (2014–2016)
- Executive member of the The Society of Graphic Designers of Canada: Vancouver Mainland Chapter (2007-2010)
- Voting Member of the National Executive of the GDC (2008–2010)
- Member of Graphex Design Competition Steering Committee: 2007 & 2009
- Instructor of Web Development at the Electronic Media Design program at Langara College (2006–2010)
- 2017: VanOrgDesign - Presentor and Panelist on How & Why Unbounce structures our Engineering Team
- 2015: CodeCore - Writing & Evolving Hootsuite's UI (slides)
- 2014: Style & Class - CSS Enterprise: A Five Year Mission
- 2014: CodeCore - 10 Lessons Learned from 2 years as a UI Dev at Hootsuite (Video)
- 2014: Vancouver HTML5 Meetup - Performance Budgets for Web Designers
The More You Know!
- Musician: Originally trained as a classical musician I've played professionally since 2001 focusing on jazz, commercial and latin music.
- Performed with: Don Rickles, The Temptations, The Royal Winnipeg Ballet, Maria Schneider (Grammy winner) & Kenny Wheeler, Hugh Fraser (Juno Award), The Paperboys (Juno Award), and countless others.
- Photography: I love music and photography so it is natural they became intertwined. I've shot extensively for local and international musicians.